Lufthansa’s Miles & More frequent flyer programme is Europe’s leading airline programme due to the numerous benefits that are provided to members. When comparing Miles & More to other (big) European programmes, Miles & More definitely comes out on top. Miles & More is the frequent flyer programme of Lufthansa, Austrian, Brussels Airlines, SWISS, LOT, etc.
Earning miles is easy thanks to a number of both airline and non-airline partners, but sadly there is no way to transfer in points from another programme (Marriott transfers were recently suspended). There is, however, a credit card from Barclaycard which often features a generous sign-up bonus of 50,000 award miles.
There are many reasons why I dislike the programme, the major one being revenue-based earning on Lufthansa Group airlines, something that was recently introduced and still hasn’t been set up to work properly. However, thankfully, there are more reasons why I love Miles & More rather than dislike it, including:
- Fantastic redemption rates to/in several regions
- Increased access to award availability on Lufthansa Group
- Even more availability for elite members
- Ability to create custom itineraries with flights you want
- Incredible routing rules with generous stopovers and open-jaws
- Elite status is valid for at least two years without re-qualification
- Phenomenal Elite Status benefits
- Low change/cancellation fee
- Competent call centre agents
- Ability to waitlist Lufthansa flights
Lufthansa partners with several airlines outside of the Star Alliance, like Cathay Pacific, which means more opportunities for Miles & More members. The programme truly shines when you are an elite status member – that means no mileage expiration, upgrade vouchers, more award availability, companion fares, etc.
I’ve been loyal to Lufthansa and the programme since 2009 and I do not plan on changing this in the near future – while M&M is now revenue-based for earning on Lufthansa Group, there are ways to get around that. The fantastic elite benefits and overall programme structure is what makes me love Miles & More – not to mention if you fly with Lufthansa the most, there really is no better programme available.